Monday, January 28, 2013

Brazil Kiss nightclub fire, Rhode Island The Station nightclub fire, schools, and FEMA

The danger of fire and toxins from foam ceilings, insulation, and sealants, as well foam decor, is not limited to nightclubs, including the recent Kiss nightclub fire in Brazil (see article link below). For more thirty years, foam roofing and insulation have been aggressively marketed to school boards and daycare owners as a "green solution," an inexpensive alternative to traditional roofing and sound-proofing materials.  

Both ignorance and budget cuts deter the necessary reapplication of fire-retardant coatings (fire-retardant is additionally toxic to kids).   In event of ignition, fire can spread rapidly with toxic smoke and fumes that like the nightclub fires can kill children before they can be led out of a building and far enough away.  

When a foam ceiling, insulation, and or roof catches fire it emits thick, blinding, toxic black smoke.  Many of the recent dead in Brazil and in the 2003 The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island died from burning, melting foam and from toxic smoke before they were even able to make it out of the building. 

Although marketing claims foam roofing, ceiling, and insulating products are safe for use in schools (an nightclubs), they are not telling the truth.  Foam products can emit deadly toxins throughout the "life"of the product, from its manufacture, transportation on school grounds, storage prior to application, application, off-gassing, and its reapplication of fire retardant, and its removal.  These products are extremely dangerous especially for children who are more vulnerable to toxins emitted by these products than are adults.

Banning foam products from use in construction and renovation of schools and day-cares has been one of my projects after I was seriously and permanently injured from application of spray-on foam roofing insulation and sealant (Carboline Products) on the school were I was teaching.  Since my injury in 1985, hundreds of thousands of school children and personnel have been exposed and injured by these products.  For story visit <>  For information about Carboline Products visit <>

Unfortunately, FEMA is currently endorsing the use of Spray Foam roofing and insulation to victims of Hurricane Sandy.  The only "green" work being done with this FEMA endorsement is your tax dollars being used to "help" people recover, but injuring and killing them.

Will your children, our children pay with their health and lives for business promotion bought by chemical companies with "campaign contributions," sold by United States White House and government leaders.
The USAToday article about the Brazilian nightclub fire additionally features a story about the century's worst nightclub fires.  A distressing number of deaths from these fires are attributed to use of flammable foam products which spread flames quickly and emitted dense smoke. 

Most of the dead apparently were asphyxiated, according to Dr. Paulo Afonso Beltrame, a professor at the medical school of the Federal University of Santa Maria who went to the city's Caridade Hospital to help victims.
"The band that was onstage began to use flares and, suddenly, they stopped the show and pointed them upward. At that point the ceiling caught fire. It was really weak but in a matter of seconds it spread," Pereira said. Murilo de Teledo Tiescher, a medical student, told G1, "... There was a lot of fire and a lot of smoke."

Read more about the USAToday story at

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only members can comment on Children's EPA blog. Please subscribe and become a member of Children's EPA

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.